Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hmm Smells Fishy

Well I spent the majority of my evening at the nearby coffee shop surfin the web, sipping coffee and yackin away on the phone and stayed an hour past close. Oops! But I came back to the clinic to a pleasent surprise. One of the Techs grilled fresh ocean-caught halibut and salmon on the grill outside the clinic and served it up with spices and lemons and all sorts of goodies! YUM! I thought about taking a picture of my plate half-way through eating it (the fish not the plate, c'mon!) and then got distracted by the fish..

Did_you_say_fish
...and kept eating again. So I have no photo to offer you, but it was just the most delicious meal I have had up here yet!

To all of you that say "I hate fish", you are lying to yourself and everyone else. No one could hate this. Even people that aren't in their right mind couldn't hate fresh, ocean-caught, Alaskan halibut and salmon!  Until you have eaten every kind of fresh fish from every coast in the world, don't tell me you hate fish. :D

Now that we have that out of the way... here is something else that's fishy, but it's not edible. It's my schedule for the next two weeks. Yeah that adds up to approximately 90 hours of work. 90 hours! Phew, I guess if you can do that much for free you know you'll like it for a job. And I've got a whole month and a half left of that, but I enjoy it.

My_scheduleMy_schedule2

I have found that I love helping animals. I don't think I'll work in a clinic setting the rest of my life, but I have this yearning deep down inside to help whenever I see an animal that is hurt.  It's a neat, but sad feeling too because it's so hard to understand what they're going through. At nine o'clock this morning, a dog came in that was hit by a car and he looked pretty bad.  After taking X-Rays we found that what had looked like a broken forearm, was merely just a dislocated humerus. Thankfully, one of the Vets was able to quickly pop it back in place and we reinforced it with a cast to keep it from slipping back out so that it could heal.  His tail was also badly injured.  The skin was split open and ligaments were visable.  We shaved the hair around it and wrapped it in gauze.  It will most likely need to be rechecked after the swelling has gone down.  We were unable to suture it closed, due to the swelling and lack of skin available.  But, all that aside, he was a super lucky dog - no breaks or ruptured organs. The only other things he suffered from were some minor cuts and scrapes and a few broken/chipped teeth! Not bad for getting nailed by a car. Luckily for us he was also easy to work with, unfortunately his owner wasn't so much.

Well thats all the excitement for today! Thanks for reading and I hope your weekend finishes off wonderfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment